Sunday, January 13, 2013

Rise to Greatness


Everyone who knows me even a little bit knows that I am a BIG fan of “The Greatest Generation” (the WWII generation).  They never cease to both amaze and provoke me.  Today was no different.

My husband and I chose to be members of a Sunday school class known as the Crusaders.  It is a class filled with members between 70 and 95 years of age.  Considering we are only in our mid thirties, this choice raised a few eyebrows.  We chose this class because we believe that there is no one more able to teach and instruct us in both our spiritual and practical life.  Today we had a little lunch social after Sunday school was over.  I had made a special request that everyone bring photos of their “younger” days.  (One of my favorite things to do is look through my own Grandmother’s photo albums).   Pictures of another day and time fascinate me for many reasons but most of all I enjoy the story that goes with each picture.  As we all began to look at the pictures the stories began to come out.  That is the point that I was once again provoked by this generation of people.  Many of them had pictures of themselves and their children dressed in “Sunday Best”.  Several had at least three or four children pictured.  Several not only had pictures of their family at church, but at our very same church!  One of the couples had even been married in our old sanctuary.  So I am sitting in a room filled with a generation of values and steadfast devotion.  I stopped to think about my generation.  Are we dedicated to raising our children in God’s house?  Will any of my generation still be planted in a local church body 50 years from now to proclaim faithfulness to younger generations?   I am afraid of what the answer may be if we continue down the same path we are currently on.  Everything else seems to take the place of importance.  Ball games, vacations, meetings, PTA.  Somehow we make time for all of the other things and fail to make time for what is most important; worshiping together as a family and being a part of a committed body of believers.  If we can’t make that commitment to lead our children in the example that God comes first and everything else falls after, then what do we think will happen to our youngest generation?  Will they magically go off to college with a strong will and commitment to follow the ways of the Lord?  If we have not led by example then what can we expect from those who are watching us?  Sometimes being in relationship is hard.  Sometimes we may not agree with our Pastor or other church leaders.  But in the beginning God had called all things good except one thing. . . for man to be alone.  Think about that!  Adam walked with God and yet God said it was not good for Adam to be alone.  We are meant to journey with others.  I have been guilty of being a loner, of being angry with imperfect churches and wanting to walk with God alone.  But God says that is not good.  Today the memories the Greatest Generation brought to our class reminded me of that.  If our children and our children’s children have any hope for the future then our generation must resolve to walk in the very same greatness.  How can we live WHOLLY-HOLY lives if we try and live them alone?

 

Psalm 42:4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul within me. For I used to go with the multitude; I went with them to the house of God, With the voice of joy and praise, With a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment